American Corner Discussion Club
One of my favorite duties here in Dushanbe is to help facilitate discussion at the American Corner. The American Corner is a small library provided by the embassy for local students. They host film screenings, holiday parties and these weekly discussion clubs. Today we discussed the questions below:
1. What is your favorite type of music? How does it make you feel?
2. How do you find new music? Radio? TV? Internet?
3. What is the meaning of the following quote? “Even if you can’t sing
well, sing. Sing to yourself. Sing in the privacy of your home. But
4. What are your favorite television programs and why? Are there any
influential television programs in your country?
5. What is the meaning of the following quotation? “Television is an
invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by
people you wouldn’t have in your home.”
6. What movies have been very popular in Tajikistan? Why do you think
they have been so popular?
7. Have you seen any American movies? How are they different from
movies in other cultures?
8. What types (genres) of movies do you enjoy most, and why?
9. What is the meaning of the following quote? “We need families to
start taking more responsibility in understanding which movie is good
for their children and which movie is not.”
As far as movies, I was told that there is a film based on the story of Rostam and Suhrob from the Shahnameh, the Persian Book of Kings. I’d like to see it, but I haven’t got ahold of it yet. This might be it. This is definitely not.
Anyway, if you’ve got any suggestions for me, join the conversation.